Thursday, March 13, 2008

Step away from the brownie....

Another day, another post! Two days in a row. How about that? And another small victory in the napping department. Jackson has been asleep in his crib for a hour now. And he slept great last night. I am scared to say that we may have done away with the cat-napping. Knock on wood. We will just keep taking it a day at a time.

All this good sleeping has presented me with another problem today. Mindless boredom eating. I guess I shouldn't really say "bored" because there is lots to do around here. But I find myself not being able to stop eating. At least when he is awake I don't really have time to keep going to the kitchen and eating. I made these brownies the other day that are my latest addiction. They are a Cooking Light recipe though, so that is okay, Right? They are so yummy. Chocolate Mint Brownies, the cover recipe for this month's issue. Don't make them though-or you will be in the same predicament I am in right now. Maybe Joe will come home and eat the rest of them for me. He can afford them. I on the other hand will be going to the beach in a few months with two other families we know and I don't want to scare them all away. So I need to get my booty in gear and get back on my regular running/workout routine. I really have no excuse for not running since we got a really nice jogging stroller. I guess my excuse is that I am out of shape and it is hard to run and push a 15 pound baby. I know, I am lame. I did run with him yesterday and actually survived. So, I am re-committing myself to getting in shape. I desperately need to cut sugar out of my diet. I know I feel so much better when I don't eat it. But those dark chocolate Hersey kisses are just too darn good! And now all the Easter candy is out just staring at me and calling my name. Oh the temptation. I am proud of myself though. My all time favorite is the Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs. And I have not given in yet this season. I have to admit that a bag or two have found their way into my basket at Wal-Mart, but I have talked myself out of them before actually purchasing them. And when Joe's mother was here she was going to buy my a big one, and I told her not to!! How about that!! Let's see if I can make it a few more weeks without caving in to the Egg pressure.

I do have a question for you mom's out there. What is the next option if Rice cereal is giving my little guy a rash? He has been "eating" it for a week and a half and I noticed a rash on his bottom and his "boy parts" a few days ago. And I am not just being a hypochondriac and imaging it because Joe noticed it too last night during his bath. I called the Dr but haven't heard back yet. I did look at the list of ingredients on the rice cereal and it has soy oil in it. I wonder if that is the problem since he is allergic to milk and soy formula too. Could that be? Now the question is should I wait for the rash to go away before trying anything else, or should I just switch him to something new. I have some oatmeal that only has Oats listed in the ingredients. Or should I just move on to fruits or veggies? So complicated! And I thought things would get easier as he started to eat real food. Ha!

Alright, i have managed to ramble on and on now about nothing. Off to find something to cook for dinner. One downside to the little guy sleeping well in the afternoon now. I don't have any excuse for not cooking a good dinner now. Bummer! Have a good day all!

PS-I better not get any Reeses Eggs in the mail!! Or else I will send them back to you. :o)

6 comments:

Troy & Sherry said...

great to hear from you Jen- wow he is getting so big already...and i am not sure you have any room to talk about needing to lose weight....you are one slendar gal :) we miss you guys!

Joe and Jen said...

Not much longer until you have a little guy of your own!! Hope all is well with your pregnancy. You look GREAT! Isn't it just the most amazing feeling in the world to have that little guy moving around and kicking you? Just wait until you hear his first real laugh. It brought me to tears--of joy! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Go with the oatmeal. My kids never got a rash from rice cereal, they just didn't like it. They loved the oatmeal, though. Waiting until the rash goes away is probably a wise idea, to eliminate any doubt about the cause. We can chat in person about this later...I won't waste all your comment space!

NotinKSAnymore said...

I agree with Laurie - switch to oatmeal after the rash goes away. Oh and can you send some of that running motivation my way? I noticed my legs were hurting when I walked upstairs tonight and thought what have I been doing to cause that? Then I remembered I walked to the park today - amazing what a little exercise will do!

thegrinhams said...

Hey Jen - great blogging page! Great to hear what you are all up to. I'm no expert, but I'm thinking that at Jackson's age it may be best to stick to the rice cereal until you are 100% sure that this may be the problem. The nappy rash may be due to other things such as the change in his poo consistency (since having started solids), or maybe even teething. Have you started giving him fruit yet...if so, the acidity of some fruits may cause a rash. The big poo explosion that you mentioned in your blog would not have helped his cause either! Good luck! I hope his bottom heals quickly! By the way, that Burt's Bees stuff that I used on Paige when we were over there was excellent. They don't sell it here. But guess what? They have just started selling Glad Press and Seal over here....so behind the times!! Freda xo

Me said...

Hey stranger!!! I'm so glad you started blogging! You can check out mine at manicmommymusings.blogspot.com.

As for the cereal - mine never liked rice, only oats. And in a few weeks you'll be much better off when you can start buying the cereal/fruit mixes in a jar - they seem to like that so much more (of course they do, it has sweet stuff in it ;)

I've kept up with you through Lisa - I'm glad you are doing well!

Tiffanie