Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My Dad

Today is a very special day. It is my Dad's birthday. And even though he might have forgotten it was his own birthday, I certainly didn't. Days like today are especially hard to be so far away from family. Not that I don't think of my dad everyday, but I do even more so on his birthday. My dad is a loving husband, a caring father and just an amazing man. He is a strong Christian man and a perfect role model for my brother and me. My dad has taught me many things in my thirty-something years of life. One of his famous sayings from my childhood was "No one said life would be fair!". This was usually proceeded by me whining and saying, "But Dad, Michael got to do it. That isn't fair." I can't wait to use that one on Jackson! I never could fully comprehend the love a parent has for their child until Jackson came into our lives. Now I know the reason behind every action and lesson my parents taught me. There is no love greater than the love a father or mother has for their child. I only hope that I have shown my Dad that I love him just as much and appreciate him more than he will ever know. Thank you Dad for being the best Dad and loving me unconditionally. Happy Birthday!

Here is a beautiful poem I found that is a wonderful tribute Dads.


What Makes A Dad

Author Unknown

*

God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,

The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night,
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,

The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,
The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need,

Then God combined these qualities,
When there was nothing more to add,
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so, He called it ... Dad

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Sniff sniff. How sweet, Jen! Happy Birthday, Daddy Lemmon!

AuntieKat said...

Aw that was so nice. I love the poem. HAPPY BDAY GRAMPY LEMMON!
p.s. hope your tummy-ache is better Jen, a good Girl Scout cookie in the morning can fix that (bite the dog that bit ya! hee hee)

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet, your Dad must be a pretty special guy. Happy Birthday Mr. Lemmon. By the way I can't believe Jackson is sitting up and standing WOW! What a big boy. Ali